6.24.2010

slow cooker refried bean chili

Serves 8-10

I usually make this chili when I don’t know what to do with the leftover roast from Sunday dinner. I cut the recipe in half and substitute the shredded roast for the ground beef. The full recipe requires a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker.

2 pounds ground beef

1 cup chopped onion

2 15 ounce cans chili beans with gravy

1 16 ounce jar thick and chunky salsa (your preference of spiciness)

1 16 ounce can refried beans

1 cup beef broth

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon cumin

2 tablespoons lime juice (I never put this in)

Optional toppings:

Sour cream, shredded cheese, diced green peppers, diced tomatoes, avocados, or corn chips.

In a large skillet cook beef and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.

In a 5 to 6 quart slow cooker mix the ground beef, chili beans, salsa, refried beans, broth, chili powder, and cumin. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Stir in lime juice at the end of cooking. This thick chili is great in bread bowls.

0 comments: